Mindful Living is recognition of source of happiness and joy in our daily lives and living in the here and now instead of past and future. Every day we spend living with our anxieties, worries and fears is day spent without happiness, which is already present in our lives.
Mindfulness and Need for a Sacred Space
Mindfulness helps us to bring consciousness to both our mind and body, which allows us to feel the joy in the pure, simple moment. Having a designated space in your home for prayer, meditation, or private reflection can be a constant reminder of how important it is to cultivate this sense of Mindfulness. Some tips on creating your Sacred Space
Guide to Creating Your Sacred Space
1. Find a peaceful and quiet area in your home, it can be as small as a closet or an entire room, but it needs to be away from all the noise. You can choose to sit on floor on a cushion or a cozy chair, just be comfortable. You can cleanse the space if you feel like with some rituals, music or chants. Just take a few minutes to align with the space and make it your own.
2. Next comes, gathering some essentials like Prayer Flags and Altar Cloths for your sacred space which will encourage you to be present there every day. Choose items based on their purpose and meaning for you and which are pleasant for your sensory receptacles.
3. The colors, smells and lights from Incense and Sage can be vital to your personal space. Not only are they soothing and charming but they create an enchanting atmosphere which invites you to be present there everyday. Also choose a few spiritual items which appeal to you or have a personal significance. Remember, these items don’t have to be religious in nature but have to work for you at an inner, personal level. Every stage of life will present new challenges for you and you can try different things at different stages of life.
4. Statues of God Ganesha and Buddha are quite popular with our friends and Sivalya carries a whole range of statues in sizes small to large. 108 Mala Beads Necklace are also an integral part of your space, specially if you’re a beginner. Meditation becomes less of a challenge with a Mala Necklace and you can choose from gemstones and crystals for their specific properties or from spiritual Rudraksha seeds mala.
5. Wrist Malas are 9 or 18 numbered beads based on same principles as 108 beads mala. The easier way to wear them as a bracelet, lends to their popularity and ease of use.
6. Now its time to sit in your chosen focus pose and try out your scared space. Your special nook is a perfect place to ask for guidance, connect with the divine, do, practice deep breathing and create a positive vision for your life.
Allow your space to evolve over time. Find more things to place in it and clear out items that aren’t as useful to you anymore. Create new rituals and intentions for it as your own spiritual practice grows. As you refocus on your inner life, you’ll find yourself calmer, clearer, happier and more inspired to follow your heart.